I bumped into Andrea Doss when I was looking for storybook illustrators. Andrea Doss paintings have a story to tell. She paints cute animals in action.
Children above the age of 7 should try painting one in her style.
We will use acrylic paints on canvas.
First, draw the picture. Think of your story. Draw small cute animals like bunnies, mice, tortoises. Watch her paintings closely. She paints lovely skies and her skies occupy three-fourth of the paper. Her night skies are beautiful.
Watch her paintings closely. She paints lovely skies and her skies occupy three-fourth of the paper. Her night skies are beautiful.
Here have a drawn a mouse here. Since mouse is active in the night, we are painting a night sky. The mouse is taking his food to his home on the wheelbarrow. We have used darker tones of colors. It has been balanced with lighter tones like white clouds and the light in the small house far away.
Andrea Doss loves drawing bunnies. You would find bunnies looking up to the sky ,painting stars, watching the shooting stars and staring at the moon. The mama bunny here takes her little bunny home from play.
Two to three layers have been used for the sky. Shade the cute animals to give depth. Outline them with a thin brush.
What can you learn from Andrea Doss paintings?
- Learn drawing animals in action. See her animals marching, blowing bubbles, painting, rowing, gazing at the stars.
- Learn using flat colors as well as the merging of colors. Play with light and shades of colors.
- See how she has used white in each of her paintings to balance her picture.
- Her skies are beautiful. Almost three-fourth of her picture is painted as the sky in the background. Each sky is different, they have different tones and it clearly depicts the mood of the picture.
- Try one of those night skies.
- Learn to outline your picture with thin brushes.
Andrea is inspired by her little daughters and their wonderful imaginations to create her paintings. You will find more about her and her new creations on Andrea Doss’s website.